A Thousand Words
“A Thousand Words” was a community site where users post short stories inspired by user-submitted pictures. I made for my wife, but it never took off. It should be fully functional, but it was written a long time ago so the quality of the code is probably somewhat lacking.
The development of the site was detailed in a series of blog posts:
- a thousand words: A New Timesink has Arrived!
- a thousand words: First Sketches
- a thousand words: GETting and POSTing
- a thousand words: Hot Profilin’ Action
- a thousand words: Alpha, Beta
- a thousand words: Finishing Touches
Install on Heroku
- Set up a MySQL database somewhere
git clone https://github.com/ianrenton/athousandwords.git cd athousandwords cp sample.env .env
.envin your favourite editor
heroku apps:create heroku config:push
Since Heroku is read-only, uploading pictures involves adding them to the repo, committing it and pushing it. It would be nice in future to support automatic upload to Amazon S3 or something.